Some Great Business Lessons Come From Unexpected Places
I consider myself to be very blessed man. I have a wonderful, loving wife. Kids who are fun to be around, intelligent and talented. Good health. Great friends. And I get to work with some of the best business owners in the area. Who could ask for more?
I was reflecting on my life this past Labor Day weekend. Taking a few minutes to be introspective and appreciative – something I do not do often. But the opportunity was there and I took advantage of the time.
And then, something very interesting happened. We went to church on Sunday where I heard a message that was tailor-made for me – and perhaps for you.
We are fortunate to go to Stonebriar Community Church in Frisco TX where Chuck Swindall is the Senior Pastor. He happened to return this week from a long summer travel schedule and he was fired up and ready to preach!
His message was about “How to get from where you are to where you want to be.” The reading was from Joshua 1, verses 1-9.
Now, I would not normally write a blog post about a Sunday church sermon, but as I listened to Chuck’s message, it became more and more clear to me that the message he was sharing was not only about spirituality, but it was about anything that was important to us in life. In fact, with a few minor changes in the wording, his message was PERFECT for any business owner!
(As I have mentioned before, I find it hard to do anything outside of my work that does not seem to apply to business. Here is yet another example of this!)
So I thought I would share Chuck’s 6 Principles to help you get from Where you Are to Where you Want to Be. Great Business theology from a master theologian!
Here are the 6 Principles (Keys):
1) Accept You Current Reality. If you hope to make progress in your business, you must first accept where you are. You must guard against denial. If things aren’t going as well as you had hoped, first admit it. It opens your mind to consider new ideas, new thoughts, new approaches.
2) Press On. Take the first step towards where you want to go. Don’t get caught like so many others just stuck where you are. Frozen. Not willing to move. You must take a first step. It doesn’t have to be big, just one step. It makes the next one much easier.
3) Do Not FEAR! Remember that FEAR is simply False Expectations Appearing Real. You must avoid letting fear overcome you. It is all just an illusion. You will know this once you begin to take small steps in the right direction.
4) Be Strong and Courageous. Have confidence in yourself. Lean upon your character, your personal responsibility. You’ve been successful in your past. Use that to bolster your self-confidence. Know you can get to a better place if you want to.
5) Stay Focused. Don’t get distracted or sidetracked. Don’t listen to those who aren’t willing to support and encourage you. Block them out of your thinking. Spend time on the things that will take you in the direction you want to go. Focus!
6) Anticipate the Future Blessings. Set your RAS – your Reticular Activating System – the part of your brain that allows you to connect and relate to your goals and desires. Put yourself in the place you hope to go in your mind. Visualize it. It will help you realize it.
So, there it is! 6 Keys to getting from Where you Are to Where you Want to Be. I hope you didn’t find that too preachy. I didn’t. I found it quite practical, applicable and relevant to life in business today.
Maybe it’s just me, but I think if you’re tuned in to doing better, improving, making a difference, or whatever, there are lessons to be gained no matter where you are. Even in the pew of a church on Sunday morning!
Now go put these 6 Principles to work for YOU!