No matter who you were rooting for in this year’s Super Bowl, you’ve got to admit the game turned out to be a great one. It was clearly a bi-polar game. The first part (before the blackout) was all Baltimore. The second part (after the blackout) was all San Francisco.
I’m sure there are some who have a conspiracy-theory around how and why the lights went out when they did. I’m not sure we will ever know. But the fact that the blackout happened and play was stopped for over 30 minutes allowed us to witness an amazing thing – Momentum at it’s finest!
As a business owner, I don’t want you to miss this important aspect of the game – because it is happening to you in the very same way – but it is not always as clear and obvious to us. Let me explain.
In the first half of the game, and extending into the kickoff in the 3rd quarter, Baltimore clearly had “Big Mo” on their side. They were in a rhythm, in their groove. Everything was going their way. They were unstoppable. And the 49ers knew it!
Then, with a single unexpected turn of events, Big Mo shifted. When the lights went out in the stadium it was as if Big Mo quietly walked from the Raven’s sideline and made his way over to the 49ers. You could see it on the face of Baltimore’s head coach. He was livid about the stoppage of play. He knew that he had the 49ers on the ropes and this delay was going to cost him – big time!
When play resumed, it was like there was a new San Francisco team on the field – fresh, determined, crisp, focused and they came roaring back. Baltimore was on their heels and could not stop their Momentum. Big Mo had changed sides!
So what you say? It happens. It’s a game. What does that have to do with me and my business?
I think it has EVERYTHING to do with your business. We see it all the time in business. In fact, take Apple for example. Over the past few years they have had Big Mo clearly on their side. They could do nothing wrong. Everything they did was a success. Their stock price shot up like a rocket. Every new product they introduced was a huge success. They were unstoppable.
Now, consider what has happened more recently. Obviously Steve Jobs passed away. Now with a new leader, Apple just doesn’t have the same swagger. Their most recent new product releases have been less than spectacular. Their competition is fighting back hard, and their stock price is falling – as is confidence in their business future.
Momentum has shifted. Has this happened to you in your business? Are their times when you feel like everything is going your way? Have you experienced big wins without much effort? Then at other times, does it seem like nothing goes right? Like there is a black cloud over your strategy or marketing efforts?
It happens. But when momentum shifts away from you, here are 5 things you can do to get it back:
1) Take a short break. Be on your toes and recognize what is happening. Call a time out with your team and reset your plan of attack. Rethink your approach. Then come at it again with new energy and motivation.
2) Focus on your daily rituals and routines. If things have unexpectedly gone sideways, it is likely because you have gone away from your good habits – your daily routines and rituals that have kept you sharp. If you can’t seem to get momentum going, then check yourself on whether you have good, productive routines and rituals and if you are doing them consistently.
3) Ask for a fresh perspective. Get someone to come check out what is going on in your business. Often times you are too close to the action to see what’s really happening. Like making a call to the booth, ask someone you trust to give you their perspective – and listen closely to what they have to say.
4) Change it Up. Look at ways to change the roles people play on your team. Give folks a chance to do something different. Let them come at it with new approaches and new plays. Their fresh attitude and approach may be the key to unlock Big Mo.
5) Refocus on your WHY! When momentum leaves you it can also take away your enthusiasm, your motivations and your passion. Go back to the WHY you are doing what you are doing and re-kindle the flame that got you started in the first place. Go back to when you were determined not to quit, never to give up, to stay and fight. If your why is big enough, you’ll get the fire back and MO will come your way!
Momentum is a powerful force in business and in life. It can swing your way or swing away from you because of what seem to be very minor things. But remember, the difference between winners and losers is often very little. In horse racing is could be by a nose. In golf it may be by a single stroke. In basketball, a single point. Yet the feelings, rewards and emotions that go with being a winner are far greater than those that remain with the losers.
Take the time and effort necessary to shift momentum in your direction. Don’t just plow through another day of another week of another month of the same old, same old. Use one (or all) of these 5 ideas to get Big Mo back on your side – today!