As we near the end of the Tour de Profit, it is appropriate to take time to recognize those who have helped you achieve your success. Your customers are without a doubt the most important people in your business success.
So, here’s your question for today: What are you doing to make sure your customers KNOW how important they are to you? How will you recognize their value to you and your business? How will they, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you value them, respect them, admire them and appreciate them?
Let me suggest a few things that will not communicate this message:
- Sending an e-card with a template note.
- Sending a new calendar or meeting planner that doubles as a marketing piece.
- Sending a card through regular mail with an embossed “thank you”.
- Sending a card with the names of everyone in your office on it but without a personal note.
- Having a package delivered without a personal note.
This list can go on and on. So, it begs the question, what will YOU do? Let’s start with this thought. Anything you do is worth doing with a personal touch! If you are going to send a note, make it a personal note. If you are going to send a card, make it a personal card. If you are sending a gift, make it something that relates to that particular client.
If asked, each of you could come up with four or five examples of ways that a business has tried to let you know they appreciate you, but your reaction to their effort was very different. I recall getting a fruit basket every Christmas holiday – without fail.
When the box arrived, I knew who had sent it. Think about how many of these you have received over the years. More than just a handful I would bet. So why not be different? Why not stand out from the crowd? Do something that really matters – something that gets the kind of response you hope for.
Your Profit Tip of the Day
Talk with three or four of your colleagues – other business owners. Ask them what they are doing to recognize their best customers. Then steal the best ideas!
Business owners do it all the time. Now is a great time to do it. If no one has any good ideas, then collaborate with a colleague and have them ask a few of your customers what would make them feel special and you agree to ask a few of their customers for them. No need to get a consultant to do this for you. Just swap a few customer contacts and call on behalf of your colleague. Have them do the same and see what kind of response you get. Even if you don’t come up with any new, creative ideas, you will get some good customer feedback that will be valuable to your business and you get it for free! just so you don’t go empty-handed into this important time of year, here are a few ideas to consider:
- Recognize your best customers on your website with a story of what makes them special.
- If your business is B-2-B, include links to your customers’ websites in your newsletter with a personal note of thanks and a referral.
- Invite your best customers to a happy hour or dinner where they can meet others who have similar interests.
- Give out customer awards – even if you have to make them up!
- Send them something unique and specialized – even with their name on it.
- Send them tickets to a special holiday event for their family with your personal note attached.
Take a minute to remind yourself of the lifetime value of a good customer in your business. Take this week to recognize your best customers.
Over the long term, it is one of the best ways to retain your customers, get more referrals and grow your business.
To get more tips on how to improve your leadership skills, your team engagement and your business results, go to my website, www.tourdeprofit.com and you’ll find lots of free stuff there.
And when you’re ready, join my FREE, private Facebook Group called The Peloton. It’s where business owners like you are learning, sharing and working together to get better every day! Here’s the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/jointhepeloton/
Come on – join us! And remember, whatever you do, RIDE HARD!